Connect with us, Like us and Follow us on Facebook!

PhotoFile Cornwall supports CoaST and Sustainable Tourism

Looe Lifeboats

Photographs taken 2010

The photographs below show the now relatively recently replaced D-Class and Atlantic Class lifeboats. The new modern Lifeboat House and new slipway was completed in 2003 just above the Banjo Pier. The Old Lifeboat House can still be seen on the seafront, that launched boats over the beach. Looe Lifeboat Station itself was originally established in 1866 with the 32ft Pulling Lifeboat "Oxfordshire". The station was closed in 1930, but was re-opened with a summer-only evaluation service in 1991, and established permanently the following year with an Inshore D-Class Lifeboat. With the new boathouse and slipway opening in 2003, came the additional Atlantic Class Lifeboat and all-year service.

The Atlantic 75 B-Class B-793 "Alan and Margaret" shown in the photos below was withdrawn to the RNLI Reserve Fleet in 2016, and replaced with the Atlantic 85 B-Class B-894 "Sheila and Dennis Tongue II".

The Inshore Lifeboat D-Class D-574 "Regina Mary" shown in the photos below was withdrawn not long after these photos were taken in 2010, and replaced with the Inshore Lifeboat D-Class D-741 "Ollie Naismith".

More information can be found on the RNLI Looe Ifeboat Station website,
and the Looe Lifeboats website.

Looe Lifeboat Station
Looe Lifeboat Station (centre of photo) - the Old Lifeboat Station is to the right

Atlantic Class

Looe Lifeboat
Atlantic 75 B-Class B-793 "Alan and Margaret"

Looe Lifeboat
Atlantic Class Launching Tractor

Looe Lifeboat
Atlantic 75 B-Class B-793 "Alan and Margaret"

D-Class

Looe Lifeboat
Inshore Lifeboat D-Class D-574 "Regina Mary"

Looe Lifeboat
D-Class Launching Tractor

Looe Lifeboat
Inshore Lifeboat D-Class D-574 "Regina Mary"

Return to the main Looe page.

Back to the Top