Photographs taken 2006
Cotehele House is one of the oldest houses in Cornwall, and dates from before 1353, and the marriage of Hilaria de Cotehele and William Edgcumbe. The present day house is mainly a mixture of Medieval and Tudor construction, with further modifications during Victorian times. Cotehel House is now in the care of the National Tust, and is well worth a visit. The central Great Hall is very impressive.
"Cotehele" is thought to mean "wood on an estuary", and Hilaria de Cotehele clearly took her name from the name of the place where the original Manor House was built. The name is most definitely not pronounced COTA-hailey, and should be pronounced Co'TEEL.
For further information about Cotehele House, and events that are held there, see the National Trust Cotehele House website.