Lanhydrock House
~

Lanhydrock House is now in the care of the National Trust, and is one of their most popular properties. The house originally dates from the 1620s, when Sir Richard Robartes started building a new house on the site of (possibly) the old manor house of Lanhydrock. The Manor of Lanhydrock was previously held by the St. Petroc's Priory in Bodmin. The name "Lanhydrock" comes from "Lan - lann", being a holy enclosure, and "Hydrock - hedrek or hydrek", the place of Hydrek, or St.Hydroc who is said to have come to Cornwall as a missionary from Ireland.

Lanhydrock was a Parliamentarian stronghold during the English Civil War, in a Cornwall that was itself mainly Royalist. John Robartes (Richard's son) was however a moderate Parliamentarian, and favoured a Parliament with a Monarchy, and because of this, returned to favour with Charles II after the Restoration of 1660, and Lanhydrock prospered. In 1881 a serious fire damaged a large section of the house, and the house seen today is an amazing "time capsule" of a lost Victorian age.

~

Lanhydrock House in its landscaped setting
Lanhydrock House in its landscaped setting above the River Fowey at Respryn

The imposing Gatehouse at Lanhydrock
The imposing Gatehouse

Lanhydrock House
Lanhydrock House

Looking back to the Gatehouse of Lanhydrock House
Looking back to the Gatehouse

Looking into the old Kitchen Scullery of Lanhydrock House
Looking into the old Kitchen Scullery from outside the house
(no photographs are allowed from inside the house)

~

Back to PhotoFile Cornwall Houses and Castles.
Back to PhotoFile Cornwall
Home.

 

Redgate Smithy B&B
Come and visit us in South East Cornwall for a night or two, or stay for a week - we are open all year!
E-mail: enquiries@redgatesmithy.co.uk (opens a message/enquiry to us)
Redgate Smithy, Redgate, St.Cleer, Liskeard, Cornwall PL14 6RU ~ Telephone: 01579 321578
Visit the Redgate Smithy website

Redgate Smithy Bed & Breakfast in South East Cornwall